Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Meeting An Angel

So lately i've been given a lot of oppertunities which means I have been faced with a lot of decisions to make lately. With my nursing school being in Orange County, i've been offered a place to rent by myself, offered a CNA job at an amazing hospital. It all qorks out perfectly for me. Not to mention it's something i've been wanting to do for a while now and finally I have the means to do it. But as with anyone else i'm afraid to step out of my comfort zone. That was until today, as I finished my last day of hospital training I met an angel. He sits alone daily. Very nice gentlemen, and being the good CNA that I have become, I went to chat with him. He made it home from Vietnam. Died three times on the operating room table. Lived his life to the fullest. Did everything he wanted to do, not giving a damn about what anyone thought, including his family, wife, and children. And as we sat and talked a while about his life, he cried. And what he said I wont ever forget as I continue on through my nursing career. There were three people he will never forget. His commanding Officer, his Wife, and the nurse that sat next to him for three days and coded him for three days, and saved his life countless times. And then he said to me "All that hell and this is how i'm gonna die? Pneumonia?". Anyhow I learned more than how to oxygenate a patient from him. I learned that I am going to be that nurse, and I learned to make decisions based on what is going to be best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment